The Cabela's Muzzleloader Rifle Scope is a 3-9x40mm, solid performing, value minded scope that has the versatility and performance that most hunters need from a scope without having to dive off the deep end and drop a lot of coin. It's hard to beat the overall versatility and value of a 3-9x40mm riflescope. The relatively low 3x magnification is great for short range, think as close as 50 yards. It can provide more than enough magnification to make your target and its details more easily visible at these closer ranges without overpowering you with magnification you just don't need. While it's a great close range scope and excellent in the brush as well, it also has the chops to handle longer range shots, if it has a capable shooter behind it. A 400-500 yard shot with a 3-9x40mm wouldn't be unreasonable, and beyond those distances would even be possible given the shooter had a stable shooting platform. That is to say, you don't have to have a high powered scope to take longer shots.
While the Cabela's Muzzleloader Rifle Scope doesn't have 15x-20x capabilities, the truth is that many hunters really don't need magnification at that intense of a level and don't shoot in extreme long range situations where more power would be more beneficial. Although it's tempting when you're window shopping, it's important to remember that when it comes to optics, bigger is not always better. Greater magnification can actually limit light transmission through the scope lens which impacts the overall brightness and clarity of the target you are looking at and it can result in a smaller field of view making target acquisition, especially moving targets, more difficult. Furthermore, more magnification can also make it harder to get a nice clear focus on your intended target if you aren't able to hold that scope perfectly still. Even the slightest movement from breathing, subtle body sway or even controlled swing to follow an animal will be magnified in a high powered scope making it hard to clearly acquire the target and make a good shot. High powered optics have their place, certainly, but they also have some caveats. A 3-9x40mm scope really is a good place to start and across the spectrum of brands - whether it's this Cabela's model or any other brand, generally you can find a fairly cost effective 3-9x40mm model that will be able to offer what you need in performance. Not only is scope selection important for overall performance in the field, but it's also a good way to save money when you're building your rifle.
Now, down to the nitty gritty of the Cabela's Muzzleloader Rifle Scope:
- It has a 4-inch eye relief which provides just enough room between the scope and your eye to avoid the dreaded eye hickey that can come from your scope kissing your eye/eyebrow upon recoil.
- It's built with precision machining for tight tolerances, to perform consistently.
- The highly precise, smooth magnification system ensures reliability and predictability shot after shot.
- It has a ballistic Drop EXT reticle that provides hashmarks for long shots. Windage and elevation adjustments are smooth and precise.
- Multicoated lenses guarantee high light transmission, and crisp edge-to-edge clarity across the full spectrum of available shooting light.
- The scope is housed in a hard-coat anodized, aluminum main tube, and is nitrogen-purged for fogproof protection. Plus, it's waterproof.
Finally, that leaves us with the price tag. This Cabela's Muzzleloader Rifle Scope regularly retails for $100, which is already a great value for a scope. However, it's on sale right now at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops for 50% off during the 2020 Fall Hunting Classic and hunters can take it home for just $49.97. Bargain pricing, y'all! That 2020 Fall Hunting Classic is going on now through August 26th so be sure to check out everything on sale right now and pick up the gear you need before the hunting season starts!