Brand new for 2019 is Black Cloud TSS, a blended waterfowl load. Many hunters may be familiar with Federal’s Tungsten Super Shot (TSS) offerings through their Heavyweight TSS turkey loads, it really packs a punch! Jared explains how this new Black Cloud TSS load was designed and put together. Starting with their signature Black Cloud FLITESTOPPER Steel pellets, the pros at Federal then combined them with Tungsten Super Shot. TSS is 18 on the density scale making it more than double the density of steel and 56% denser than lead. Because of the density, the pellets in the Black Cloud TSS load retain their velocity at longer distances which results in a harder hitting load that penetrates more deeply. The load is split 60/40 with 60% made of the Tungsten Super Shot pellets and the other 40% comprised of the tried and true FLITESTOPPER Steel pellets. Jared says that what may be surprising to some is small shot sizes - No. 7 or 9 TSS with BB or No. 3 FLITESTOPPER steel. The Tungsten Super Shot is ultra-dense, and the pellets are very small, so you get almost twice as many pellets as you would with a steel load. Jared says that this load really pushes yardage barriers and makes longer shots possible noting that he took a couple ducks in the 50-yard range cleanly. The increased pellet count and the density of those pellets is definitely going to help waterfowlers.
Next, Jared gives us a look at Federal Speed-Shok. Packaged in the old Federal blue box that shooters are very familiar with, Jared says not only is this an affordable load, but they have also improved, redesigned and expanded on the entire Speed-Shok line. An upgrade for this load was the Catalyst priming system. Jared talks about the new Catalyst primer in detail explaining how it provides the most complete and consistent ignition possible. When paired with new powder blends that are faster burning, the result is less residue and buildup in your barrel. Federal also added new sub-gauge and high-velocity 12-gauge loads. Previously, the Speed-Shok line was only available in standard 12 and 20-gauge offerings. However, Jared says they expanded on that with new 10, 16, 20, 28 and .410-gauge offerings which accommodate a wider range of hunters. Plus, shot sizes from “T” to 7-Shot and everything in between are available giving hunters a great selection to choose from.
Circling back to Black Cloud, Jared will talk FLITECONTROL FLEX. Launched last year, Jared says that the FLITECONTROL FLEX wad was a solution to a problem from the original FLITECONTROL wad that didn’t perform well in ported or wad stripping chokes. (Full disclosure, the amount of engineering and design that went into both the original FLITECONTROL as well as the FLITECONTROL FLEX is pretty amazing so forgive me for over simplifying here. Listen in on the player below as I’m sure Jared explains it with much more clarity than I ever could.) So, explaining the issues they encountered with ported and wad stripped chokes, Jared describes how the airflow on the front of the shot column wasn’t sufficient to deploy the rear fins as they left the muzzle, failing to get the wad to open and fully separate. The result was an undesirable and uneven performance. To remedy this, the brains at Federal redesigned the entire wad from the ground up and changed the way the braking system works, redesigning the fins to open properly with any choke. The pressure that exits the barrel then was channeled to open the fins which force the wad to separate from the shot column, ultimately translating to tight and consistent patterns down range and resolving any issues of poor performance in ported and wad stripping choke tubes. This rear controlled release of the payload from the FLITECONTROL FLEX is now integrated into the entire Black Cloud line, so look for the red band on the box.
Make sure to take a listen below as Jared Hinton gives us an informational and in-depth look at these different loads from Federal Premium Ammunition.