He’ll kick everything off with an American favorite, the hamburger. I’ve never met a person that dislikes a good hamburger. Everyone has their own unique take on burgers, but Kevin will walk us through his delicious rendition of the Bacon Cheeseburger with a 5-step process that can be applied to any burger recipe.
- The Right Beef: Starting with an 80/20 mixture of ground beef, Kevin says that this ratio provides a good amount of moisture, and the fat also adds flavor to your burger.
- The Right Seasoning: The next step is seasoning and in this case that means bacon, and lots of it. Large bacon bits are placed on top of the bottom patty, then topped with cheese and finished off with another patty sandwiching it all together.
- The Right Shape: Kevin says that ¾” is a good size for your burger. Going too thin can lead to overcooking and drying out your burger.
- Thumb Print: Before throwing those patties on the grill, a thumb print should be placed in the center to level it off. If you don’t, the juices in a burger will pool in the center and make your burger look more like a meatball.
- Only Flip Once: Your grill should be set for about 425 to 450 degrees and you’ll need about 3 to 4 minutes of cooking time on each side. Only flip those patties once and resist the urge to press down.
There are endless options when it comes to building a delicious burger and Kevin will explain why balancing the flavors in your creation is crucial, so the final outcome is tasty, not overpowering.
Now, many of you left comments and asked questions about grilling wild turkey last time Kevin joined us. This week he’ll explain how to cook a delicious whole turkey over charcoal and says it’s simpler than you’d think. Cooking on the grill instead of in the oven will give you better heat and better color as long as you set it up correctly. He tells us that you’ll want to put a drip pan on the charcoal grate, about 25 hot briquettes on each side and then your turkey can go on. Your temperature should be about 325 to 350 degrees and should be checked every hour, on the hour, where you’ll add additional briquettes to maintain the cooking temperature. Listen in for all the details.
How do you choose a grill that is right for you? Weber truly has something for everyone, in every price range and in your particular preference of charcoal or gas. Kevin will highlight several different options that you may want to check out. First, when it comes to portable grills that are ideal for camping and tailgating, where your space is confined, he recommends the Q Series, that are available in gas and electric offerings. If you’re a straight up gas griller, then listen up as Kevin talks about the redesigned Spirit II Gas Grill. If you’re wanting charcoal instead, the Smokey Joe or Smoky Mountain Cooker Smoker are excellent choices. If you are a charcoal lover like me, then you’ll want to hear about Weber’s Lighter Cubes. They are an alternative method for lighting your coals. You don’t need paper, lighter fluid or any other starting aids, plus they perform exceptionally even in windy or wet conditions. Finally, I will declare my love for the Summit Charcoal Grill and Kevin will walk us through the features of this outdoor cooking beast! Don’t miss this fun, delicious and informational talk with Weber Grill Master, Kevin Kolman.
Happy Grilling Friends!