- 1 stick of butter
- 1 whole large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small container of fresh, thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground venison
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 5 slices of Swiss Cheese (also delicious made with Pepperjack cheese if you like a little extra kick)
- 10 slices of Rye Bread (choose your favorite variety of rye)
In a small pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter on medium-low heat and toss in the sliced onions. Saute slowly until the onions are golden brown and soft. This takes patience to get it done right. Plan for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the onions are about half way done, toss in the sliced mushrooms and add a little extra butter if needed.
In the mean time, combine the ground venison with some salt and pepper and if you like a little extra flavor squirt in a few tablespoons of Worcestershire. Once it's mixed well shape into 5 patties.
Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a separate skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties on both sides until they are completely cooked thru.
Now, it's time to put these babies together. Place a slice of bread, slice of cheese, venison patty, a good spoonful of the cooked onions and mushrooms and another slice of bread.
To finish, I use a griddle and melt the remaining butter and grill the sandwiches until the cheese is melted and they are golden brown and a little crispy on each side.